Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Barasoain church

When I was a kid, I only knew Barasoain church trough 10 peso bills - I remember looking for a cat in the bills... as time progresses, I had learned to appreciate the value of history:
I've been going to Malolos to accompany P to his Lolo's house; From time to time we visit Barasoain church which is almost walking distance from them... Here are some pictures I took during our 2nd visit:

Barasoain Church (also known as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish) is a Roman Catholic church built in 1630[1] in Malolos City, Bulacan. Having earned the title as the Cradle of Democracy in the East, the most important religious building in the Philippines [2], and the site of the First Philippine Republic, the Church is proverbial for its historical importance among Filipinos.

The term "Barasoain" was derived from the Filipino word "baras ng suwail", which means "dungeon of the defiant". The term was coined because the place was once the rendezvous of Filipinos who were in opposition to the laws imposed during the reign of the conquerors of the country. The term was also been attributed to a name originated from a well-known church in Navarra, Spain. Priests and missionaries who built the cathedral had gone to the place and saw a beautiful church and later named it to the one built in Malolos. - from wiki



PS:Will add more pics next time.

That's All!

Barasoain church
Malolos, Bulacan

15 comments:

witsandnuts said...

I used to see this on the 10-peso bill lang. Naremember ko nung gradeschool, nalito pa ako sa spelling nyan. Haha.

Kayni said...

i've only read about this church. you're so lucky you get to see it often. thank you for the photos. hope all is well.

kg said...

come to think of it, i [think] i've never seen the barasoain church! i think i must see it at least once in my lifetime since it plays a huge part in our history.

it's beautiful church...

Marvin Gaerlan said...

my friend and i posed for a picture under the tree and imitated the manang and the manong selling candles. hehehe!

Anonymous said...

i've only been to barasoain church in bulacan once and i wouldn't mind smelling history again via that church =)

sheng said...

beautiful, i have seen that on the old ten peso bill too and never remembered until you posted, haha. Nice pic. I wish i could go there too, churches as photo subjects are interesting.

escape said...

one of the most historical church in the country.

Dennis Villegas said...

This 10 peso bill is rare nowadays, as the lowest paper money being printed is the 20 peso bill. I think ni-replaced na siya ng coin na 10 pesos.
Anyway, this post gives me a tinge of nostalgia as I always drive to Malolos when I was a younger man.
Thanks for sharing, Aline.

The Pope said...

During my high school days I have visited Malolos and nearby towns of Bulacan and I love every moments being there because it brings you back to your roots, our rich culture and history.

From the Arabian Gulf, I am wishing you a Merry Christmas.

princess_dyanie said...

diba diyan nanunumpa si erap? tama ba?

dyosa said...

Wow! I haven't seen this church "live in person". Ang ganda! :D

carlotta1924 said...

lol i remember looking for that cat too! :D i should dig through my stuff for my last ten peso bill. i'm sure it's there somewhere hehe.

merry christmas aline! :)

Oman said...

Fellowship, feasting, giving and receiving gifts are all the buzzwords in a Christmas setting. Make your Christmas a one to cherish for years!

Panaderos said...

Nice pic! Merry Christmas, Ms. A! Ingat lagi. :)

The Nomadic Pinoy said...

May you have a blessed Christmas Aline!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin